Friday, July 10, 2009

What a Great Idea!

We've been doing something for a month now (wanted to try it out before sharing) that is definitely worth doing! Of course, you may all do it already. And then this post is pointless. But on the off chance that somebody is not aware of this, I'm going to share anyway :-)!!!

For the past month, in all of my baking, when a recipe calls for oil, I've used unsweetened applesauce. How's that for tremendous!?! I know some of you are scratching your heads in wonder thinking, "Does she really get excited that easily?" But some of you, and you know who you are, are just as excited as I am!!!!! You see, each tablespoon of oil (even the good kinds) adds appr. 18 grams of fat to your recipe. So when you add 1/2 cup, that is over 100 grams of fat! Yikes!

So when making pancakes, zucchini bread, muffins, you name it.....I've substitued unsweetened applesauce for the oil and YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!!!!! I'm not a martyr for nutrition. I do the best I can, using healthy ingredients as much as possible. But when somethings YUCK, well, we just give up on it. But with this, you seriously can't tell the difference.

By the way, we make all whole wheat baked goods (no white flour at all) with freshly ground wheat no less ~ ooh la la! lol It's actually very simple and there's a good reason for it, which I won't bore you with. But anyway, whole wheat products are generally tougher and firmer. Well, this actually adds moisture and lightness!

Anyway, I hope that helps some. Maybe we can all save a few extra grams of fat. If you lose a pound, I get the credit! jk ;-)

3 comments:

  1. (this is mom) April, I tried this once before , years ago, but for me, then, it did not seem to turn out very good.
    However, if you say it is good, I will try it again!
    btw, I did look at your blog , and I like it quite well!
    Also, Abi says she gets on here every day to see what you are saying!
    love you! mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is mom again, lol,
    we have actually gone to using a little more oil , after discovering that your Dad's good cholesterol needed boosting , and finding out that canola oil , used sparingly , is actually good for him!
    Also, peanut oil, and peanut butter, even in its store bought, store manufactured state, is actually good for him, and all of us!!!
    the good cholesterol helps to lower the bad cholesterol!
    this is much to the relief of your poor old dad, cuz he had to hide in the corner to eat his peanut butter , and hide the oil, but now he can use it right out in the open without fear of his wife nagging him! :) and I actually use canola oil to make him oil and vinegar dressing, which he loves if I use lots of garlic, and seasonings, and vinegar and sugar! Also, I am glad to see him eat his peanut butter, knowing it is crowding out the bad stuff! :)
    poor man, here he was right all along! pray for me to be a more respectful wife!!!
    love you! mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April!! Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of blogging! I love your site. Very pretty.
    I've been greatly blessed by this crazy blogging thing and I see God's hand all over it.

    See you at church!

    ReplyDelete