Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Dream Fulfilled

I've had a dream, as long as I can remember. It involves raising my family in a natural way, eating the food we have produced, being involved with the animals that will eventually provide food for our family. But living in Florida, that is a difficult dream to achieve, when small houses on small lots cost so much.

We did what we could by moving to western Palm Beach County where we could have an acre and get chickens. And that was quite a joy.

But when we moved to Alabama, I hoped to expand our dream if possible. We had a small problem with contracts on our rental and found ourselves in a position where we had to buy a home quickly. We had looked at several, but nothing with "farm" potential. So we decided to buy a home that we loved, even if it was a log cabin in the woods (with NO farm potential lol). We figured it was temporary.

The Lord knew better. Shortly after moving here, we realized the situation may not be as temporary as we figured due to the housing situation in Florida. I prayed and prayed for a solution, which has taken years. But it has come.
This is what the property looked like when we bought it. Beautiful, but wooded. Sure, Grace is cute, but look past her. Nothing but trees, as far as the eye can see. I told Robert I felt claustrophobic. In an effort to accomplish the dream, we had the property timbered. And this is what it looks like now.


Robert has finally given me permission (translation: we finally have the money) to call in a bulldozer. So we begin now. I'm journaling this for posterity's sake. Within a few months, we should have the beginnings of our pasture and our chicken coop. That's step 1. I have steps 2-5 planned, but we'll wait on the Lord for that development :-).

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me! Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Can't wait for some bacon! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you! Seems a lot of us have that same dream.

    ReplyDelete