Monday, July 20, 2009

Good Medicine #1 - Jalapeno Burns


Thanks to my Aunt Jeanne, this is my first year to make Rotel for the family. At a family reunion in January, she passed along an old family recipe from my grandmother's sister called "Aunt Peg's Stewed Tomatoes" which can be adapted to make Rotel. I was thrilled. First we use a lot of Rotel. But secondly, I love the idea of using a recipe from two generations ago and carrying it through to my children.

I even saved time during the second batch by remembering to use the food processor. This was a wonderful time saver for the onions, bell peppers, and celery.

The problem came when I used the food processor for the.....(drum roll please)....jalapenos. I still shudder and it's been three days. Within seconds of turning on the machine, my hands were burning, followed quickly by my face, my throat, etc. I did not realize the extent of the damage, as throughout the next couple of days, my children would begin crying uncontrollably with no obvious reason.

And personally, I could not use my hands that night. My husband had to help me finish canning. So the next day, when I could type lol, I went searching online.

And this is what I found. Things that worked for some people were milk and rubbing alcohol. But the solution that helped the most people (and there's a whole website about jalapeno burns) is to make a paste with baking soda and water. Coat your hands (or the area of burn) and then scrub it off under running water.

Then do it again.

Then do it again.

Apparently, the third time is the charm.

For future reference, all jalapenos in our home will be cut with a knife, while I am wearing rubber gloves. And the cutting board will be henceforth sterilized. My lesson to save your pain.

I'm going to try and post tips for home remedies and such once a week. Check for next week's Good Medicine!

4 comments:

  1. April, will you post the recipe for Rotel tomatoes? We use a lot of them too and as I am going to have tomatoes like crazy (looks like anyway) I would love to do this.

    And I have a terrible pepper burn story so I know how bad it is. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's basically just stewed tomatoes with stuff in it.

    8 quarts tomatoes (+ 3T salt, 2T sugar)
    1 quarts celery
    1 quarts onions
    1 quarts green bell peppers
    1 4 oz. can of chili peppers or an undetermined amount of fresh jalapenos. We used about a cup.

    Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.

    Hot bath: 30 min quarts, 20 min pints

    Enjoy! Aunt Jeanne also sent an AWESOME recipe for tomato soup if you want it. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. april -- girl, you made me cry for you! oh my, that hurts. I never realized jalapenos would do that, I knew they are bad, but oh my!

    Thanks for the recipe -- I LOVE homemade salsa!
    And share that tomato soup recipe!

    Your blog is fun, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This happened to me the first time I cut up jalepenos! My hands were burning like fire, and then it was time to take someone to piano. When I walked outside into the heat, I thought I would die! I could barely drive the mile and a half. Rubber gloves are a must now!

    ReplyDelete