Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Our New Van


When we found out we were expecting our newest little one, one of our first thoughts was, "Well, The Mini isn't going to fit any longer." So we began shopping. Unfortunately, our criteria are not readily met in Alabama. You see, we needed something that would fit our family, but luxury was not high on our list. Since we've determined not to take on any debt (we're completely debt-free except for mortgage), we were restricted to using cash on hand. So we turned to EBay.

After searching and bidding on a few, we found our new van in Denver! We won the van with a bid of $1950 and I flew to Denver to pick it up. Robert tried to be chivalrous, but it simply wouldn't fit into his schedule (between work and being Beth's soccer coach). Besides, I really wanted to fly and drive across the country. To him, it was a chore. To me, an adventure.

So I left one Saturday morning by plane, arriving in Denver in early afternoon. I was there about an hour filling out paperwork, and immediately turned around and drove home. I left Denver around 5:00 p.m. Alabama time, early enough to be able to enjoy two hours of daylight in Colorado. It was completely worth it! I'd never been to Colorado before! That night, I drove through Kansas, sleeping from 12:30 to 4:00 a.m. at a truck stop. By 7:00 a.m. I was driving through Kansas City, and that began a really long day. I killed a skunk, got detoured and subsequently lost in St. Louis, ran into a practical typhoon in Nashville, and arrived home at 8:30 p.m. to very excited children.

The van runs GREAT! It's 1995 with 90,000 miles. Engine is good and strong, transmission too. Interior is basic, definitely no frills. But lots and lots of space.

And best of all? It's paid for! And it will only take 7 months to refill our "van" envelope completely, including the new van, airfare, gas, etc. I think 7 car payments (to ourselves) is much better than 60! Anyway, that's our adventure. The children have named the van Shakespeare. We're keeping the Mini to use when we have less than 9 people to save gas.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome! On Ebay. Very creative. And how fun to drive back. It would have been an adventure for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You went by yourself?! AND DIDNT TAKE ME! Oh, what fun we could have had! THe catching up, the laughs... YOU SLEPT AT A TRUCK STOP! Do you know how dangerous that was?! And you didn't let me go. Aw Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were jealous of RH weren't you in her silver bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO jealous April! I don't need a big old van anyway! My mini still fits the 7 of us just right, Okay, so we're a little cramped, but I will be content! I love to see how God provides for those who look to HIm and obey Him by striving to live debt-free! He's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete